The first slap

The first slap
This photo was taken the day after I was diagnosed, and it is my first bitch slap at cancer. I'm the one with the icepack symbolically placed on my boob. My teammates changed our team's uniform to pink at the last minute, and I came off the soccer field that night with one goal and a whole lot of love. Several of these women are my close friends, but they are all warriors, and they all helped me set the tone for this fight.

Friday, November 29, 2013

Port

I'll be getting a chemotherapy port on Monday. It's a little titanium gizmo that has a shape much like Apollo Command's re-entry module, although (obviously) in miniature. It will go just under my skin in my upper chest, below the collar bone, and will be attached via a little tube to a major vein for easy blood stream access. The idea here is to facilitate both blood draws and chemotherapy infusions. From what I understand, there are fewer nerves there than in the arm or other places that health care folk might think to stick a needle. I wonder if they could insert a second port for coffee infusions. And maybe a third for wine! A tawny port port, perhaps? I'm thinking the insurance wouldn't pay for that, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, be sure to select an ID under "comment as." Anonymous works for those who don't want to comment using their Google, Yahoo, or other ID.